South Dakota’s best and worst high schools

The S.D. Department of Education today released its latest School Performance Index scores, determined as follows:

Elementary and middle schools get 80 percent of their scores from the spring Dakota STEP math and reading tests, with the remaining 20 percent coming from attendance.

The Dakota STEP is the basis for 50 percent of high schools’ scores; 25 percent comes from high school completion rates, and the rest from the percentage of ACT test takers who scored a 20 or better in English and 18 in math.

So, where are South Dakota’s best and worst?

HIGH SCHOOLS (148 schools)

1. Armour (96.16 of 100 points)

Wall

Timber Lake

Rosholt

Scotland

Groton Area

Arlington

Leola

Hitchcock-Tulare

Burke

… Yankton is 27th, Brookings 28th, Brandon Valley 31st, Pierre 35th, RC Stevens 41st, Mitchell 43rd, Garretson 50th, Harrisburg 53rd, SF Roosevelt 56th, Lennox 57th, SF Washington 60th, Tri-Valley 63rd, Vermillion 71st, SF Lincoln 76th, Aberdeen 83rd, West Central 85th, Dell Rapids 87th, Tea Area 88th, RC Central 107th, Baltic 111th, Huron 126th …

Eagle Butte

Todd County

Joe Foss alternative (SF)

McLaughlin

Jefferson Academy (RC)

EAGLE Center (Eagle Butte)

Wakpala (Smee)

Oelrichs

Belle Fourch alternative

148. Mickelson alternative (Redfield) (12.50 of 100 points)

ELEMENTARY AND MIDDLE SCHOOLS (454 schools)

1. Midland Elem (Kadoka Area) (99.46 of 100 points)

Challenge Center (SF)

All City Elem (SF)

Leola Elem

Hillside Elem (Doland)

Faulkton Elem

Corsica Elem

White Lake Elem

Warner Elem

He Dog Elem (Todd County)

Success Academy (SF)

Shannon County alternative

Wolf Creek Colony Elem (Freeman)

Glendale Colony Elem (Hitchcock-Tulare)

Wakpala Jr. High (Smee)

Norris Elem (White River)

MS immersion (SF)

Spring Creek Elem (Todd County)

454. Elem immersion (SF) (19.35 of 100 points)